The 'Search Timeout' parameter can be configured as part of a datastore configuration in 'Server Settings'. It resolves to 'sun-idrepo-ldapv3-config-time-limit'.
This is passed into search requests as a client side request timelimit, however this behaviour seems inconsistent. For example, upon logging in a new user OpenAM will make a number of searches on the LDAP connection but only one will include the timelimit as per 'Search Timeout'.
- Setup vanilla OpenAM install.
- Setup a separate OpenDJ (or other) directory server as an external userstore.
- Add directory server OpenAM as a Generic LDAPv3 datastore and set Search Timeout to a specific value.
- Observe with wireshark or similar, timelimit is only occasionally set in searchRequests.
- Logging in a user is a good test to trigger some example searches.