Setup should apply best effort minimum settings to the JVM during setup and upgrade.
Adding the minimum settings during setup or upgrade will:
- Ensure proper young gen to old gen cache object collection of db-cache; MaxTenuringThreshold.
- Ensure proper GC behavior; CMS.
- Eliminate or curb Full GC's; CMS.
- Ensure the best case initial performance after install.
- Ensure the best case initial performance after an upgrade, if the original instance was never tuned.
- Reduce or eliminate support cases due to untuned JVM's.
- Reduce downtime caused by restarts to tune the JVM or to enable GC logging.
- -Xms, -Xmx
- -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC (or -XX:+UseG1GC)
- -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 (or 70)
- -XX:+DisableExplicitGC (when JMX is configured)
- -XX:+PrintGCDetails, -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps, -Xlog:gc*