dsrepl status allows to display the status and health of servers from 6.0 onward.
It first discovers all the servers by reading the data from cn=topology,cn=monitor on the target server, and then reading cn=monitor for all the servers in the topology, expecting to find data a format compatible with 6.0+ servers.
dsrepl status could be reworked to do a best effort of displaying information for older servers in a mixed topology.
The things to take care of possibly include:
- the attribute names have a different names, for a start they do not start with the ds-mon- prefix
- some attributes are not present, some data not exposed in cn=monitor. It may be possible to also read cn=config to retrieve some of the missing data (ignoring expression values) ?
- servers prior to 6.0 exposed discovery information in cn=admin data
- TLS configuration have to be compatible for all the servers
- a common monitoring user with compatible credentials has to exist for all the servers
- etc. certainly more problems to overcome